Thursday, April 14, 2011

Metaphors Blog Post 14



1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
-I feel I missed this metaphor usage because I was dwelling on being a perfectionist! I will say though that I went back into the article and plugged in the word computer for pencil and I found that the article was much easier to grasp the underlying meaning.
2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them? A common few I usually use are “ Its raining cats and dogs, for a job well done I cheer myself by using, ace in the hole-when playing with my nephew, who is 3 he has no sense of patience so I joke with him by saying he has ants in his pants, when talking about myself not being patient in terms of waiting for something in the mail, ill say “the delivery is as slow as molasses, my mother will ask me how school is going all too often and I will say usually “ I have too many irons in the fire for my own good. So obviously metaphors are a huge part of my common language and I actually use these subconsciously.
3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
I remember as a child when my teachers or parents would use metaphors it was fun! They can be comical or exciting to the common language which can be boring at times. To help students understand these it can only occur with the use of them and practice relating to their actual meaning. I feel in giving the students both sides they can better grasp the absolute meaning and avoid being confused on actuality.
4. Why do we use metaphors?
- I feel metaphors are used to help emphasize meaning and they sound good to the ear. The use of metaphors can better complex our language. Metaphors are used frequently in literature especially for little children, similar to the use of Homophones. I think these are great characteristics of our language, for metaphors are present in the bible and have been a part of our communication for quite some time now.

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic cartoon. Maybe I should say "Your cartoon was right on target!

    You light my life with you comments on metaphors!

    ReplyDelete